Monday, February 1, 2010





Who inspires me?

I recently encountered the work of one Jonas Bendikson on Magnum's exemplar website. I was immediately struck by his sense of vibrancy and composition. He tells a story with a single image. Boiled down, that is what most impresses me about his pictures. The textures of the scene seem to jump out of the photo. His layering is also unbelievable as he often employs the use of a wide angle lens to give the viewer a better understanding of the environment and perspective of the subject. It is clear that when Jonas shoots, he aims to give viewers a picture worth a thousand words. It is really the most appropriate way I can describe the feelings evoked by his photos because every one is worth multiple views and not doing so is to do a disservice to the quality of the storytelling and composition. His use of color and saturation creates powerfully striking images. He probably underexposes often. Sometimes I think that photographers rely too often on using black and white as a creative crutch. I'm as guilty of this as anybody. The talent to make a statement about an individual or scene using color is something I wish to master. Some of the pictures in his portfolio seem almost alien. He has the uncanny ability to illuminate the bazaar, depraved, and beautiful aspects of any situation. The locales are also inspiring to me, because world travel is one of my aspirations as a working photojournalist. I noticed that Jonas likes to include television sets in many of his pictures as a way of commenting on society and the individuals relationship with the mass media. It is a way of creating multiple dimensions and deeper meaning in his work. Jonas Bendikson is an awesome photographer who's unique vision inspires me to think about picture taking a little differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment