Sunday, November 15, 2009




f-stop 4.0, shutter speed 1/400, ISO 200

Life In HD

Gary Neeley helps illustrate how life is sometimes viewed within the context of television reality. I wanted the base picture to show this reality as both mundane and vivid in comparison to actual perceived reality.
To get the effect of light coming out of a TV, I draped a Dance Dance Revolution game pad over a large screen TV, white side facing the strobe. I set the strobe to half power and let it fly. Taking multiple pictures both horizontal and vertical allowed me to vary the picture-in-picture mirror look. To achieve the surreal atmosphere I adjusted unsharp mask levels. I also added stylistic effects like film grain to the second and third screens.

2 comments:

  1. wow, this is amazing. I don't think i could say much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I suck at photoshop, and I have no clue how to do this. Nice job chris. I like the middle one being in color and it looking very much like a seemless image. Just a little hot by is face in the gray, but it comes off as a glow from the tv.

    ReplyDelete